Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is Abortion in the Case of Rape Alright? My Conclusions

I have always believed that abortion is wrong. I would have argued this point with anyone that had the desire to argue back. I believe that a woman who has an abortion is killing a life, and I have very little tolerance for such actions. I believe abortion is a sin. I believe that having an abortion is bad for your health. I can point you to the numerous studies on how women how have an abortion are at a very high risk of developing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, among the myriad of other mental and physical illnesses that have been know to develop among women who have had abortions.

Saying all that, I have always secretly believed that there is only one circumstance where it is alright for a woman to get an abortion in the case of known rape. When I say known rape, I mean it. I believe that a woman should have a rape kit done to acquire biological evidence at the time of the rape. I do not believe a woman should be able to come into an abortion clinic and say, “Oh, I was raped and I want an abortion.” That would not be sufficient enough. I believe that if a woman is truly raped than she should go in for the exam and then, and only then, does she have the right to ask for an abortion. Why should a woman that has been shamed and humiliated have to endure public shame and humiliation for sometime she had no control over? Why should a woman have to suffer through nine months of pregnancy and the subsequent childbirth because she was violated? These and others have always been my argument.

Well, last night this all changed for me. I was up really late and praying about the pornography industry. (I believe you are called to love the people, hate the sin), when the Lord began to speak to me about the issue of abortion in the case of rape. More specifically, I got 1 verse:

But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.-Genesis 50:20.

This single verse was able to change my whole opinion on the topic of abortion in the case of rape. It is amazing how God can use something so small, to mean something so big. Granted, I really have no idea if I am taking it out of context, but I do know that this principle can be used in several circumstances, and if it can be used in them, than it should be used in this one. I believe that one cannot know what that fetus is to be. What is currently something so small, God can use for great things. Who knows if that fetus that was conceived in a tragic event, could turn into the person who can change the world? Is that child inside the woman a future statesman, clergy member, an artist or one of the many other callings that God has for that life? How powerful is a testimony of a person who was conceived in such tragedy and can do so much good?

No comments: