Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy? Thanksgiving

So Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I have some mixed feelings about this day. This year is harder than last, even though I'm in a much better place than I was last year.

So, as you may know, most of my family has passed away. The closest blood relative (besides my sister, of course) is a cousin once removed.  Holidays are hard. Especially this time of the year. First, there is Thanksgiving, then 4 weeks later is my birthday, 1 week later Christmas, 1 week later New Years.  4 significant days of the year, all within 6 weeks. This year I'm blessed to go to a friends house for Thanksgiving, Chicago for Christmas, and who knows about New Years yet, but we'll see.

I don't make a list for what I want, I have no one to go to to ask for that extravagant item that I can't seem to buy for myself. But that's not what its about. Traditions are gone. Going over to my aunts house for Thanksgiving, watching football and cooking dinner, then eating and listening to my aunt complain that my father always steals the silverware (I guess there was an incident). Going to church on Christmas eve and then over to my grandparents to read the nativity story and open presents. Going over to my cousin's Christmas day to eat dinner then play White Elephant.  None of those things will ever happen again.I make up for it at Christmas by insisting we travel to somewhere we have never been.  But it's just a band-aid to cover the real hurt. 

It's funny, because when they were alive, I hated being with my family! I always felt wiped and in need of some serious Jesus when I was through being with them. I never could appreciate what I had.  Now, I would give anything to have them back. To experience those traditions again.  To hear the dirty, sometime racist jokes my cousin tells, to listen to everyone laugh and yell at the TV at whatever sport is on.  

I share all this not for me, a pity party between all my friends. I do this for you. I know many people are home with their family and are becoming frustrated with the experience.  I just want to encourage you to be Thankful for your family. They won't be around forever and, despite what you may be feeling right now, you will miss them.

No comments: